Link to slides:
Focus audience: Drupal 8 back-end *programmers*
Experience level for attendees: Beginner/Intermediate
Presentation time: 45 mins; Q&A time: 15mins
- This session is for people who are new to Drupal 8 programming and would want to know about how drupal is structured and how much it inherits from Symfony.
- This session will be a high level, conceptual, overview of Drupal 8's internals and how they're implemented. Comparisons will be made to corresponding components in Symfony.
Main topics covered:
- How Drupal 8 retains all the features of Drupal 7 (site-building-wise) but is a complete rewrite under the hood.
- How Drupal 8 does away with procedural programming (but not actually :P) and adopts OOP for good.
- Why Drupal's mantra of "Proudly Found Elsewhere" is awesome and what some of those "elsewhere" projects are.
- Brief description Drupal 8 hierarchical structure:
- DrupalKernal and PHP components at the bottom
- Base system (block, entity, form etc) and modules in the middle
- Theme system and twig at top.
- High level overview of Symfony components used in Drupal and how these components are used by DrupalKernel and Drupal base system.